Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Part 1 - On the Road: Women's Series


By Missy Bellinder

ON THE ROAD WITH PBA TOUR: Last week, was the start of the inaugural PBA Women’s Series. For our first stop, we traveled to Taylor Lanes in Taylor, Mich.

Each week starts with an official practice session on Wednesday and then an all-day bowling affair of qualifying on Thursday. After two 7-game blocks of qualifying, I was leading the women with +407, averaging 229.

However, match play was a different story. In a single elimination best-of-seven format, the lanes had plenty of time to constantly transition. Matches were close and many were low scoring. In a tight first match I defeated Olivia Sandham 4 games to two. We even tied after one of the games. In a sudden death one-ball roll-off I got 6! Yes 6! Needless to say, I didn't win that game.

Then in the next match, I rallied to defeat Joy Esterson, 4-2, after losing the first two games, thus earning a spot on the live TV show.

Making the TV show the first week of the PBA Women’s Series was amazing! And what did I do on Saturday to prepare myself for the big TV Show the next day? I had a nice relaxing spa day at Daybreak Spa.

I got pampered with an amazing hour-and-a-half spa pedicure, which included an upscale leather massage chair, aroma-therapy neck pillow, relaxing music and a glass of wine while my feet were being massaged and my toes painted. Following the spa pedicure I had a 30 minute massage, which was so good I almost fell asleep.

The live ESPN TV show was a lot of fun! It was my first LIVE TV show. Like any bowler competing on TV, I was nervous, but it was a good nervous, an excited nervous. And if any bowler tells you that they are not nervous when they are bowling on TV, then they are lying, or they are Walter Ray Williams Jr.

The 25 second shot clock was a little nerve racking as well. You think 25 seconds is a lot of time, but that nice little clock counting down in your peripheral vision goes by really fast!

Although I lost to Carolyn Dorin-Ballard in the championship round 233-192, I still had fun and gained more experience bowling on TV!

Overall the Motor City Classic held at Taylor Lanes was a great event. Proprietor Erin Dobbins did a spectacular job hosting the tournament. The staff was great all week! And from all of the bowlers, a big thank you to the paddock volunteer, Bill for all of his help all week!

After week one, my roommate Tennelle Milligan and I drove our rental car to Buffalo, NY. We had flown into Chicago the week before to bowl the Masters and attend Bowlfest in Milwaukee, Wis. Expecting a very uneventful trip to Buffalo, we were soon pleasantly surprised.

Imagine two Southern Californians driving in lake effect snow. Seeing road signs stating “Lake Effect Snow Watch!” and not knowing what lake effect snow is, we soon found out. It meant LOTS of snow, not the little flurries we had heard we might encounter. So we slowed down and enjoyed the white winter wonderland.

Being a little spoiled last week by staying with friends and getting home cooked food, this week we are back to a hotel and restaurant food.

Stay tuned for Part 2 of On the Road: Women’s Series. This week the women will be competing at Thruway Lanes in Cheektowaga, NY for the PBA Women’s Series Etonic Championship.
The PBA telecast is scheduled Sunday on ESPN starting at 1 p.m. EST.

No comments: