Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Fresno PBA Regional


This past weekend, I bowled in the PBA Sierra Open in Fresno, Calif. on the chameleon pattern.

Since we bowled in a bigger bowling center, everyone competed on one squad for qualifying. After the eight games of qualifying, I was in 9th place at +85. The pattern was pretty difficult. It only took +16 to make the cut to the top 1/3 of the field for the semis.

We then immediately bowled the 5 games of semis. The pattern played even tougher, with scores dropping, shot making and accuracy became a must. After the 5 games of semis, for a total of 13 games, I was at +135 and in 6th place. It only took +14 to make the top 16 match play finals.

All day, I played the lanes fairly straight and pretty far outside, which made transitions and adjustments a little easier. I think everyone would agree that they saw too many 2-8-10 combinations, which was really easy leave. I also went old-school and had drilled up two brand new "old" balls, which I ended up using the entire tournament. How many of you remember the old Columbia Ricochet Rebound and Blue Wicked???? Yep, those were the balls I had just drilled and used all weekend. See old balls can still work!

Then on Sunday, I bowled Mason Sherman in matchplay for the best 3 out of 5 Round of 16 finals. I lost the first game 164-236 and then came back to win the next two games 230-160 and 255-200 (I had the front 8 that game). Then I lost the 4th game189-234 to tie the match 2-2. So it all went down to the last game. I bowled well, but caught a few bad breaks and lost my shot on one lane and ended up losing 196-225.

Overall, it was a great weekend and good practice. The lane conditions were very demanding and shot making was at a premium.

Stay tuned for more news...

1 comment:

stryke_legend said...

I'm bowling the Chameleon in my PBA Experience league and my old Columbia Wicked is totally my benchmark ball. Nice to know it still gets some play by the pros.