Sunday, March 8, 2015

Missy Bowls 2015 Bahrain Open


This past week, I travelled from Doha, Qatar to Manama, Bahrain to compete in the 2015 Bahrain Open. The format for the tournament was similar to that of last week in Qatar. We bowled two 6-game qualifying blocks and the top 27 in the general standings made the finals, plus the top lady and two top Bahraini bowlers.

I bowled the second squad of the tournament and was very pleased that I shot +93 scratch with very consistent scores. I shot games of 265, 190, 223, 194, 194, and 227 using my Columbia 300 Disorder and N'Sane Antics. The bowling center in Bahrain had 12 lanes and some of the pairs proved to be very tricky. So to be that consistent, I was pleased.


Day two, the lanes played completely different and I struggled to get lined up most of the block. I shot -31 scratch and eventually found success using my Track LX16.  Overall that left me at +63 scratch. In Bahrain, women receive 7 pins of handicap per game, so including handicap I was +146.


We then had two days off to roam around Bahrain and do some sightseeing. On the first day off, I went to Hard Rock cafe, as I collect shirts from all of the ones I've been to. Later, Kelly Kulick and I had the unique opportunity to get signed on to the US Naval base and go to the USO celebrity concert. It was amazing! We got to see Andrew Luck, Wee Man, Miss America and Phillip Phillips to name a few. Phillip Phillips performed a few of his songs and he was incredible!




The next day, we had quite the adventure as we travelled to the Camel Farm.



Later we stopped by the local craft center to watch locals hand-make pottery, shawls, boats, jewelry and more. After a yummy lunch, we then visited the Grand Mosque. We had a very informative guided tour of the gorgeous mosque.





That night, I found out I was on the bubble for the cut. With even one game to go, it was too close for comfort. It ended up coming down to the 10th frame of the last squad before I knew that I has barley squeaked in.

The next day we bowled the finals of the tournament. The finals were separated into blocks of 12 people bowling 6 games, with the top 6 scores then advancing to the next round. The lanes were again different and I struggled to quickly get lined up. I shot games of 177, 182, 236, 194, 225 and 196 for +10 scratch. I ended up just missing the cut by 20 pins. Although I was disappointed, I still had qualified for the finals and all in all it was an ok week.



I am now heading back home for one week before venturing back across the pond for one more World Bowling Tour stop in Munich, Germany. Til then...


No comments: