Monday, March 23, 2009

Malaysian Open Results




First off, let me briefly explain the format for this event. The tournament ran for a little over one week. Qualifying consisted of three games with your two best 3-game blocks counting towards making the finals. So you can bowl as many times as you want to try and improve your scores.



The top 3 from the local Malaysian bowlers and the top 3 from the overseas bowlers got one bye in the finals. Then there are 7 more bowlers from each the local and overseas pool that qualified for the finals. And finally, if you didn't make it through either of those ways, then there's another mixed pool of the next 12 highest bowlers.


I qualifed 2nd in the overseas pool with sets of 726 and 737, so I was automatically seeded into Round 2 of the finals. Round 2 consisted of 8 games, with the top 8 competitors advancing to the quarterfinals (no pins carried over from qualifying).


So in Round 2, I shot +186 for the 8 games and qualified in 5th position. That put me bowling against 4th seed Carolyn Dorin-Ballard for the quarterfinals.


In the quarterfinals, it was a best 2-out-of-3 format. I beat Carolyn the first game 197-182. Then she beat me the second game 248-215. That put us tied at 1-1. The last game I never missed the pocket but didn't carry (also leaving a pocket 7-10) and lost 230-203.


I finished 7th overall in the tournament and Carolyn went on to win the entire event.


For a complete finals story of the event, see the following link:http://www.mtbc.org.my/results/32ndopen-res.htm


Also, the picture above is the Top 8 women and Top 8 men for the quarterfinals. For the women(from left to right): me, Bernice Lim from Singapore, Wendy Macpherson, Geraldine NG from Singapore, Shayna Ng from Singapore, Sharon Koh from Malaysia, Shalin Zulkifli from Malaysia and Carolyn Dorin-Ballard

No comments: