Wednesday, July 15, 2009

USBC Open Championships - Las Vegas, Nev.




Over 4th of July weekend, my team and I bowled the USBC Open Championships. Not a bad way to spend the 4th and it ended up being a weekend full of surprises!

A few of my teammates and I went up to Vegas a little early to bowl a few of the side events. So on Thursday, I bowled the Bowlers Journal International Championships at Gold Coast. The lanes weren't easy and I ended up shooting 200, 267 (with the front 8), 214 and a 187 for 868. That is currently one pin above the cash number, so fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Then on Friday, we bowled the Bowling this Month tournament at the Golden Nugget. The lanes were really difficult. For example the tournament has a $10,000 pot if you can throw 40 clean frames, and NO ONE has done it yet! And there have been a lot of bowlers competing for that prize over the last 5 months. I shot 807 for the 4 games, and will cash in singles. My partner Scott Norton and I are currently 33 for regular doubles and in 1st for mixed doubles with 1636.

Later on Friday I got the surprise of my life - I got engaged! I knew that I had to dress up that night for a surprise. (I thought I was going to dinner and to see a Cirque show. LOL!) Little did I know. The evening ended perfectly with a surprise dinner with my entire nationals team, parents and friends as we celebrated the engagement. So everyone was in the know except me...

After all of the engagement excitement from the night before, it was back to business on Saturday and Sunday, as my team bowled nationals at the Cashman Center. We bowled team event on Saturday, the 4th of July. Our team shot 2947 and I shot 173, 224, 257 for a 654 series. That night we hit the strip and watched some firework displays and a horrific magic act that left everyone a little disappointed.

On Sunday, we bowled doubles and singles. I bowled doubles with my dad, which I always enjoy and we shot 1177. I shot 189, 214 and 239 for a 642 series. Then in singles I died. I only shot 205, 184 and 224 for a 613 series. I shot 1909 for all events.

Although I have had a lot of fun competing and traveling to other USBC Open Championships, the 2009 Open Championships in Las Veas, Nev. definitely tops them all.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Congrats on the engagement Missy and nice bowling as always.