Tuesday, October 27, 2009

PBA Fresno Regional


This past weekend, I bowled a PBA West Region event in Fresno, CA. My leg had been feeling better and I was certain, that even though I would be bowling a lot of games, that my leg would hold up OK.

Since being home from tour, I have only bowled one tournament and just been bowling 3 games a week in league and no practice. So I've been staying off of it and letting it heal.

Well, I started the tournament very well, shooting 279 (with the front 7) and then 233 to start the day. I was leading after 2 games at +112. We were bowling on the Scorpion PBA pattern and I was able to use my 900 Global Bounty Hunter all day. I ended up hitting some trouble in the middle games and ended the 8 games of qualifying with +196 and was in 5th place.

We bowled our semifinals that afternoon (so 5 more games). During the 7th game of qualifying, my leg was starting to bother me a little bit. Then during the semifinals, I could barely bowl the final game. I ended up +203 and in 11th place. So i had qualified for the top 16 Sunday matchplay finals, despite being in a lot of pain.

I got matched up against PJ Haggerty the first match, in the best 3 of 5 single elimination format. Starting off the day, I seriously thought I was going to have to withdraw. My leg was really bothering me (and I can withstand a lot of pain) and I shot 128 the first game (obviously losing).

However, during the second game I figured out a way to still have some timing and not have my leg hurt so bad. I came back with a 234, but lost to PJ who threw the front 9 at me. I then came back and won 222-186. The next game the lanes changed just enough for me to start out with opens for the first 3 out of 4 frames (a pocket 7-10, a 2-8-10 and a 2-4-8-10). I ended up rallying back that game, shooting 201, but lost to PJ who shot 214.

So although I bowled well, it was a very disappointing tournament because my leg isn't quite healing as well as I had hoped. So I am definitely taking some time off of bowling for at least two weeks and then starting back up again with just 3 games a week. The goal is to be fully healed by tour in January.

I also wanted to thank all of you for the support and well wishes! I really appreciate it!!!! =)

No comments: