Wednesday, November 23, 2011

900 Global Clinics in Japan





After our 900 Global clinics in Malaysia, Dave Smart and I traveled to Japan to conduct more clinics. We arrived into Tokyo in the morning and had the entire day free. Since we couldn’t check into our hotel until 2pm, Dave and I decided to go sightseeing around Tokyo.

Our first stop was Harajuku, a place I’ve always wanted to visit but had yet to see. My main desire to see this area of Tokyo came from the Gwen Stefani song “Harajuku Girls,” and how she talks about this fashionable area of Japan. It was everything I thought it would be – all boutique stores with the latest fashion and girls dressed up so cute and all decked out! I REALLY loved one of the stores! They had the cutest winter coats (not that I really need that living in California), but they were pink, with bows and frillies. I didn’t buy one because they were quite expensive - $300, but looking back on it now, I wish I had!

Our next stop was Akihabara, the electronic city. This is where I bought my camera last year. I was looking for a case for my kindle, but kindles aren’t popular yet in Japan so I was out of luck. From there, we visited Zojoji Temple and saw the Tokyo Tower, which looks like a white and red Eiffel tower. Then we headed back to our hotel to check in and rest. We had shabu shabu for dinner. I LOVE shabu shabu! You cook all of your meat and vegetables in boiling hot water. It’s really yummy! That night we went to Roppongi and found the Hard Rock CafĂ©, as I like to collect their t-shirts.

The next day, we drove 2 hours northwest to Takasaka in the Gunma prefecture of Japan. We went to Parklane Takasaki for a clinic, seminar, demo and pro-am event. Dave and I had a group clinic full of 25 women, which was fun! The pro-am event was a hit and I bowled very well in the 3 games.

The next day, I got to take my first bullet train ride on the Shinkansen. The bullet train ride was an hour-and-a-half to Nagoya station and then a 45 minute car ride to Tomei Bowl. We conducted a group seminar and clinic and later that night had a demo and pro-am event. This bowling center was a newly remodeled 48-lane center with a huge pro shop. Check out the picture above with the pro-am sign that was hanging in the pro shop. Also during the pro-am, I met the youngest 900 Global staffer – Ren Sameshima. He is 12 years old, has three 300 games to his credit and throws the ball absolutely amazing. Check out the video below.

The next day, we got to go sightseeing a little in the morning as we visited Nagoya Castle, which was originally built in 1610. It was absolutely gorgeous! Most of the castle was unfortunately destroyed during the air raids of WWII, but they rebuilt the castle in 1959. Much of the castle was a museum, but one floor was dedicated to showing how the inside of the castle may have appeared. Surrounding the castle was a moat and a lake. The moat was shrubbery and there were deer down in parts of it.

After sightseeing, we went on another bullet train to Odowara station, a one-hour ride and then drove an hour to Atsugi Tsumada Bowl, a 24-lane wood center in Kanagawa prefecture. We had a one-on-one clinic and then a pro-am event that night. Just before the pro-am event, I warmed up on the lanes using the new Bank of 900 G (international ball). I struck on my first shot and kept striking. The bowlers started counting my strikes and I threw 12 strikes in a row, alternating lanes! Everyone was really excited!

Early the next morning, we flew to Fukuoka, where I was dropped off at Hakata Star Lanes for my tournament.

I loved helping with the 900 Global clinics! I think we really helped a lot of people improve their games and understand some critical fundamentals of bowling.

No comments: