Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Missy Comes in 2nd Place in Japan!





After conducting all of the clinics in Malaysia and Japan, I traveled to Fukuoka, Japan, the southern most part of the country, to compete in the DHC Ladies Bowling Organization of Japan Ladies Bowling Tour stop #5 tournament at Hakata Star Lanes from November 17-November 20th. Shannon Pluhowsky, Diandra Asbaty and myself were invited to compete in the tournament. Upon my arrival to Hakata Star Lanes, an 85 lane wood center, spanning three different floors, I had to weigh-in bowling balls and attend a brief meeting. We then had a two-hour break before the official practice session, so I was able to check-in to my hotel, which was only a 10 minute walk from the bowling center.

After practice, I was exhausted from the busy schedule of the weeks prior and just had a quick dinner and went to sleep around 9pm.

The next day, we bowled two 6-game blocks of qualifying and then the field was cut to the top 14 bowlers. The lanes were pretty tough and it was hard to carry. During the first 6 games, I started with my Bank Roll and shot 237, 231, 184, 226, 206 and 227 for +111 and was in 1st place. Then the next 6 games, I used my Bank of 900G and shot 188, 258, 222, 188, 256 and 243 for +266 overall. Shannon bowled amazing that block and pulled ahead of me, so I was in 2nd place.

The next day, we bowled 14 games of round robin matchplay with 30 bonus points awarded to the winner and 15 points awarded for a tie. I struggled a bit that day during the afternoon block, as the lanes were very tight. My matchplay record was 8-5-1 and I shot games of 258, 206, 231, 171, 216, 221, 219, 171, 192, 234, 232, 194, 225 and 249. I was in 2nd place, 300 pins behind Shannon in 1st place and only 70 pins ahead of Yuka Tsuchiya in 3rd place. The field was then cut to the top 10 bowlers. It was a big bummer because Diandra finished 11th and was alternate by 27 pins.

The next day, we bowled 10 more games of round robin matchplay and the field was then cut to the top 6 bowlers for the TV finals. I started the day on fire, winning my first 8 matches. At that point, I had even caught up to Shannon and was only behind 1st place by 1 pin. But then I lost my next two matches and was 2nd seed for the TV show. So my matchplay record was 8-2 for the day and I shot games of 206, 234, 210, 224, 216, 252, 235, 213, 171 and 194.

DHC, the main sponsor, had girls come in to do our hair and makeup for the TV show. They put my hair in a cool braid and curled it and just touched up my makeup.

During the TV show, I bowled Yuka Tsuchiya my first match. She had just shot 275 the match before. In the 7th frame, I was 2 pins ahead of her and then I left a pocket 4-9 in the 8th frame and missed it. She doubled in the 8th and 9th frame, but then left a pocket 4-5 in the 10th frame and missed it. I had struck in the 9th frame and needed to throw the first strike in the 10th frame and get good count to advance to the championship match. I was up on my bad lane and threw the ball really well and struck. I advanced, shooting 204-201.

The championship match, I faced Shannon Pluhowsky. We both struggled that game and it came down to the 9th and 10th frames. I left a 10 pin in the 9th frame, which meant Shannon could go up and strike out to lock me out and win. She threw a strike in the 9th frame and a strike on the first ball in the 10th frame, but then left a 7 pin and spared. That meant I had to go up, again on my bad lane, and throw the first two strikes to win. I made a great shot and left the fast 8 (4,7 spare) to loose. I was pretty bummed. I bowled really well all day and that’s all you can do. So next time!

The LBO threw a party for us after the TV show and it was fun to hang out with all of the girls. The next day I spent sightseeing around Fukuoka. I went to Shofukuji Temple and saw Japan’s second largest Buddha. I then went to Kawabata market and picked up a few souvenirs. Then I headed to Ohori Park to see the beautiful scenery and check out the old castle ruins of Fukuoka Castle. Finally, I headed to the Fukuoka Yahoo! Dome, home of the Softbank Hawks baseball team and also stopped in Hard Rock CafĂ© Fukuoka before heading back to my hotel to pack and go to sleep.

I had an amazing trip overseas and am very fortunate every day that I get the opportunity to travel, coach and bowl for a living…Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!! Til next time….

No comments: