Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Missy Qualifies for PBA Women's Challenge TV Show



To start off the 2014 World Series of Bowling, the PBA conducted three separate PBA Challenge events -  PBA Regional, PBA Women and PBA50. Each event consisted of the top 8 qualifiers from each of the 8 regions. For the PBA Women's Challenge, finalists were determined by the highest total points in three PBA Regional events in each of the 8 regions. 


In the PBA Women's Challenge, the finalists were:
-Missy Parkin, West Region
-Clara Guerrero, Southwest Region
-Lindsay Boomershine, Northwest Region
-Kristina Wendell, East Region
-Christina Hardee, South Region
-Liz Johnson, Central Region
-Amanda Greene, Midwest Region
-Yuka Tsuchiya, Japan
 

We then bowled 8 games of round robin match play with 30 bonus pins awarded for a win and 15 bonus pins awarded for a tie. I shot games of 194, 247, 246, 208, 199 and 199, winning 5 out of 6 matches to start the tournament and was top seed using my Columbia 300 Disorder and Enigma. 

I then hit a horrific pair and struggled shooting 154 in game 7. Although I still held on to the top seed going into the final position round game, this made the race for the TV show even closer. I bowled No. 2 seed Amanda Greene and No. 3 seed Clara Guerrero bowled Kristina Wendell in the position round game. Clara was less than 20 pins behind both Amanda and I. So if Clara won her match, then either myself or Amanda would be knocked out of the TV show. 

The match was really close between Amanda and I. Adding to the pressure was the fact that Clara was also stringing a lot of strikes together and winning her match. So whoever won the match between Amanda and I would make the TV show and the other would finish 3rd (a $3,000 difference.) 

It all came down to the 10th frame. Amanda had finished the game with a 213. I had a strike in the 9th frame and needed a mark in the 10th frame to advance to the TV show. That lane was breaking down and I made a move to adjust, but not a big enough move and left the 3,6,10 spare. This was definitely NOT the spare I wanted to have to convert to make a TV show since there are a million and one ways to chop it. Fortunately, I went up and converted the spare and then struck to beat Amanda 217-213 and made the Top 2 TV show. 

The TV show will be taped at the Southpoint Bowling Stadium on Sunday, Nov. 2nd starting at 10:30am. The TV show will air on Sunday, January 18th at 3pm EST (noon PST) on ESPN.




No comments: